Friday, April 1, 2016

Why do I CrossFit? Why do I coach Girls EDGE?

I started my CrossFit journey 4 years ago.  

I'd always been active, played sports as a kid, done triathlons, 5Ks, half marathons, but I had signed up for a Tough Mudder race and I was worried about rope climbs, the monkey bars, generally things to do with upper body strength...which I did not have much of.  

I searched for a gym to train at and stumbled across CrossFit Brighton.  As soon as I completed my first introduction workout I was hooked!

I remember being so sore for the first two months, but I still kept coming back.  Everywhere I looked in class there were strong, powerful men and women doing real pull ups, toes to bar, muscle ups and lifting an incredible amount of weight over their heads.  

It was very humbling and exciting at the same time. It was humbling because I came into CrossFit thinking I was in shape - I wasn’t at that level! 

It was exciting because I saw the woman I could become in those strong ladies who came and put in an extraordinary amount of effort every day.  Everyone was very welcoming, encouraging, and quite honestly, that made me want to make me try harder. 

It wasn’t so much out of competitiveness either, although I am very competitive and wanted to at some point in my life beat someone in a WOD.  Those beautifully strong and wonderful people started to become some of my very best friends.  


It’s strange what happens when you endure an hour of “torture” with the same people 4 or 5 times a week.  You form a bond.  A bond of sweat, tears, grunts, laughter, stories of children, husbands, and too many jokes to count.  Sometimes you even start a business with those friends because you want to share this love of fitness and community with young girls!


Eventually I was also able to do real pull ups, toes to bars and lift what I consider to be a lot of weight over my head, which is great, because that's why I joined. I even finished two Tough Mudders.

But what I found was so much more than I ever expected when I walked in the doors over 4 years ago: I found a family of people who I love dearly.  

I love their accomplishments...
I love their laughter...
I love that their strength amazes me every day. 

The community is the true reason I love CrossFit Brighton, why I started Girls EDGE and why I keep coming back!  

xoxo
Coach Darcie