Saturday, August 17, 2013

What GirlsEDGE means to me

I've never been what you would call "athletic." Or "graceful." Or "not full of bruises from running into things including invisible speed bumps on carpet."

In fact I once ran into a glass door with such force I saw stars and caused an entire office to look at me with alarm.

True. Awkward. But I (try to) own it!


What I am is passionate. Energetic. Empathetic. And after many years of trying and failing to maintain a fitness routine I found something that works for me as a way to stay motivated to be healthy with my husband and sons: CrossFit.


I had a Jerry Macguire-type break through during the 2013 CrossFit Games Open - the beginning of the competition where CrossFitters across the world compete in the same workouts... not scaled. I wasn't participating at a very high level, but my friend encouraged me to tackle the workout with her. She worked really hard and didn't give up trying to clean and jerk 95 lbs.
This is a Clean and Jerk. Yep overhead. Not me though.
photo via.

I knew I could clean up the weight, but putting it over my head was intimidating. She had me start at 75 lbs... 20 more than my last best weight (personal record or PR as we call it in the CrossFit world).

I did it.

We added 10 more lbs. (because of her encouragement).

I did it.

We got to 95 lbs, I took a deep breath and I did one rep on my first try. I lost it. I was smiling so big and high fiving so enthusiastically I could have broken something. When I did 3 more reps I knew, if I could bottle this feeling, this community atmosphere that pushes me further than I would ever dream of... I would have given it to the 10-year-old version of me immediately!

That's the idea behind Girls EDGE.Through a combination of games, workouts and small group discussion our goal is to give young ladies the tools, skills and relational framework for tackling life - from getting good squat form to facing peer pressure and dealing with all the challenges of middle school...and maybe how to recover better from that adulthood glass door face plant incident!

So maybe if during the "tween" years - one of the toughest times for a girl - there can be a spark, a foundation, a beginning of good, healthy habits to give her an edge for years to come.

Kara